Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Zupa's Cauliflower Soup

My husband and I are in love with Zupa's.  When we had strep throat in the spring, the only thing we could eat was this Cauliflower soup.  So good!  I happen to look through a ward cook book...

I found a recipe.  Made it.  Love it!  Tastes just like Zupa's!  Thought I'd share. :0)

2 celery ribs, chopped
1 small onion, chopped
1 medium carrot, chopped
2 Tbsp. butter
1 large (2 lbs) head cauliflower, broken into florets
6 cups chicken broth
1/2 cup flour
2 cups milk
3/4 cup half & half
1 Tbsp. minced fresh parsley
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. dried dill weed
1/4 tsp. white pepper

In large soup pan, saute celery, onion, carrot and butter for 3-5 minutes or until crisp-tender.  Stir in cauliflower and broth; bring to boil.  Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until tender.  Cool slightly.
In a blender of food processor, process vegetable mixture in batches until smooth.  Return to pan.  Heat over medium heat.  In a small bowl, whisk flour and milk until smooth.  Stir into puree.  Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.  Reduce heat; stir in half & half, parsley, salt, dill and pepper.  Heat thoroughly.

I made it just like this up to this point.  Tasted it.  It was good but missing something.  I called a neighbor over to taste it with me and asked her what she thought it was missing.  Cheese.

I added 2 1/2 cups of cheddar cheese, let that melt in.  Perfect!


I paired it with my beautiful pink ribbon bowl and plate, and a yummy, yummy rolls.  Pure Heaven!  It was surprisingly filling.  I thought I would need to make a grilled cheese sandwich with it but between a really big bowl of soup and a few rolls, :0) I was good the the rest of the night.

I will never pay for Zupa's soup again.  Or at least not any time soon.  The only thing I had to go buy was the half & half.  I borrowed the white pepper but I think I'll just leave it out next time.  Having everything else in the house was so cool!  Bountiful baskets are amazing. :0)

Now if I can just learn how to make Zupa's pesto sauce for their sandwiches, I'll be set for life.  Now I need to go make sandwiches with pesto sauce, sprouts, tomato, cheese.....

1 comment:

Becky Gockley said...

I am going to have to try to make this! I LOVE this soup at Zupas. I get it every time! Thanks for posting it! Cute blog. I will have to remember to check it out! Thanks!