Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Butternut Squash Soup

Okay, so this is the second time I have tried to make this soup.  The first recipe I got from my husbands Grandma Parry.  It was a comfort soup for my mother-in-law Kristine as she was battling the last few months of cancer.  I am very sad to say... we didn't like it.  Sorry Grandma.  But, I was given an different recipe and since I still had a squash, I thought I would give it another try.  This one was much better.  A little rich but very good.

You will need:
1 butternut squash
For the squash preparation: salt, pepper, olive oil
1 15oz can petite diced tomatoes
2 to 4 slices of bacon (preferably peppered bacon)
1 yellow onion, diced
1/2 head garlic, minced
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
2 cups chicken stock
1/2 cup heavy cream
salt

Preparation:
Preheat oven to 350*.  Quarter squash; remove seeds; brush meat with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper.  Place squash skin side down in a large baking pan; add enough water to the pan so that it is 1/8 to 1/4 of an inch high.  (I forgot to do this and it really made the squash have a darker look and a richer flavor.  I won't be forgetting this step next time.)  Roast squash until fork tender, about 1 1/2 to 2 hours.  Remove tender meat from squash and puree.

In stock pot, cook bacon and remove once crisp.  You'll use this to crumble on top of the soup.  Saute onions on medium heat in grease from the bacon.  Once the onion is tender, add tomatoes and garlic.  I used 5 cloves of garlic.  4 would have been fine.  Allow tomatoes to cook for a few minutes before adding the balsamic vinegar.  Once the tomatoes have started to break down, add the pureed squash and chicken stock.  I pureed all of this again so that it was smooth.  If you don't want to do that I'm sure it would be fine.  Stir to combine.  Stir in heavy cream.  I used half and half and if you wanted to, milk will work too.  Salt to taste.



I ended up making baked potatoes to go with mine because I knew that my kids wouldn't enjoy the soup as much as I would.  We also dipped crackers in it.  The bacon on top really made the soup.  I would have liked it not as thick but it was very tasty.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

At least you tried it again. Don't know if it's one my husband would even try, he's not much of a squash man.