Thursday, July 14, 2011

Meat Sauce

This is the best meat sauce that I have every had.  I have gotten the recipe out of my "Stoneware Inspirations" cook book from Pampered Chef.  I use to sell Pampered Chef and I really enjoyed it.  My husband finally talked me out of selling when I was spending more than I was earning.  But I have a ton of fun things from them and I love the cook book.  This one I have tweaked a little bit so I'll share what I do.

You will need:

5 lbs of hamburger
4-5 medium onions, (I used 3 large white onions this time)
3-4 green peppers, (I used 2 green and 1 orange.  We like it with yellow and red too.  I usually use one of each color)
5-6 garlic cloves, (again, use to taste,  we love garlic so I use a lot)
5 cans (28 oz) diced tomatoes in juice, undrained, (I used whole tomatoes and just cut them up by hand because that is what I had on hand.  I prefer to use the petite diced tomatoes)
5 cans (8oz) tomato sauce
3 Tablespoons sugar.

Chop the onions and peppers.  I have a garlic press that I use for my garlic but you can mice them if you don't.





 Brown with the hamburger.  Drain.  I do this in different parts.  My pan is not big enough to hold all 5 lbs of hamburger plus the onions and peppers all at once so I cook it 3 times.  I split the hamburger, onions and peppers into 3 parts and cook each one on its own.  When one is done I'll put it in the larger stock pot on warm, while the others are cooking I add the tomatoes and sauce to what is already cooked.

Once it's all cooked and mixed together let simmer for an hour or two.  I like to let it simmer for most of the day when I do this big of a batch.  That way the peppers and onions are all soft and it just makes it taste better I think.

Let it cool.  Separate into freezer bags with 4-5 cups in each.  I make 3 different things with this meat sauce.  Tacos, (just add taco seasoning to the meat sauce and warm up), Lasagna, (add a can (8 oz) tomato sauce and some Italian seasoning to the meat sauce) and Chili.  My Favorite!!!  (Add a can of tomato sauce, chili seasoning and a can of beans.  I like to add two cans of beans, I like beans. :0)  Serve with monkey bread.  That will have to be another post soon.)


So happy to have all this.  It lasts a while for us because we only use a bag every two weeks or so because we can get two meals out of one bag.

No comments: