Friday, July 29, 2011

Ham Fried Rice

My husband has always wanted a rice cooker and so with some Christmas money he got from his Grandpa, he bought himself one.  We wanted to find some recipes that was more of a meal than just rice and I found 2 online that we really, really like.  This is one of them.  Here is what you need.


2 cups rice
2 cups beef stock (I like to use what I have in the house.  I don't buy beef stock but I do buy chicken broth.  Sometimes I'll use a can of chicken broth plus a can of water.  Or if I really want to, I'll use bouillon cubes.  Either beef or chicken and just crush them up in 2 cups of water.)


1 Tablespoon oil
1 1/2 cups ham, cubed; this is about 1 lb (The recipe I found had you use bacon but we like the ham and usually have ham on hand.)
1 onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced; or pressed if you have a garlic press
1 cup frozen veggies, (We like to use the stir fry mix but you can use the peas and carrot mix too.)
2 Tablespoons soy sauce
4-6 eggs scrambled (optional)  


Turn on your rice cooker.  Add oil, ham, onion and garlic. Stir frequently until onion is soft.  A good rule of thumb that my mother-in-law taught me was when the onion is clear, its soft.


Add rice and coat in the oil.  Add veggies and beef stock, (or what ever you choose).


Mix.  Cover.  Cook.  When it's done add your soy sauce and eggs.




Serve.


So good.  We haven't had any left overs the last 2 times I've made this.  And I've made it twice this this month.  My kids love it!

No comments: