Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Whoopie Pies

I have wanted to make these cookies since before Valentine's day when I saw them in the Family Fun magazine. I Love that magazine. There are always so many cute ideas and recipes. I haven't made these because I knew that I would eat them all myself. I have a good friend that comes over sometimes when my husband is working nights and we make Home-made Oreo's. This will be what we make next time.

Whoopie Pies

2 cups flour
1/2 cup cocoa
1 t. baking soda
1/2 t. salt

1 cup butter milk
1 t. vanilla
1/2 margarine or butter
1 cup sugar
1 egg

Heat oven to 350. Grease cookie sheets. Mix the first 4 ingredients in medium bowl. Mix vanilla with the buttermilk. *Side-note. I don't ever use real buttermilk in any of my recipes. I add a Tbsp of lemon juice to whole milk or evaporated milk and let it sit for 5 minutes.* Beat butter and sugar together. Add the egg. Pour half of the flour mix in. Combine well. Add all of buttermilk. Mix til just blended. Add the rest of the flour mix. Spoon onto sheets and flatten with spoon. I used my medium cookie scoop from Pampered Chef but to get more I think I'll use the small one next time. I didn't flatten them either but with the smaller ones I will for sure. Bake them for 10 minutes. Cool for 2 minutes and move to cooling racks.

Filling

1/2 cup margarine or butter
1 1/2 cup powdered sugar
1 cup marshmallow creme *I used the whole container.* ;0)
1 t. vanilla
food coloring

This made a lot and I had some extra that I put on graham crackers for an added treat. Use any color you want and make a double batch because you will eat them all. :0)

No comments: